Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Works in Progress: Quilts, Books, and More

I am slowly finishing Row By Row kits and patterns which I obtained two summers ago. This kit featuring goldfish is so pretty, complete with crystal air bubbles. 

 The quilt was made with fusible applique and machine quilting.
I am also getting back to making blocks for my Great Gatsby quilt. Here is Jordan, Daisy's friend the tennis star. The design is based on a fashion illustration circa 1924.
I still have embroidery to do on this block showing Jay Gatsby and Nick Carraway. The design is based on a fashion illustration circa 1924.
I have started the Peter Pan Story Book Quilt blocks, designed by Marion Cheever Whiteside Newton. I found a copy of the pattern on Etsy.

 Tink needs hair still.
 One mermaid's tail still needs appliqueing.
On my reading list right now:

  • Only Child is an e-galley from First to Read and concerns a family in crisis after a school shooting.
  • I just completed The Winter Station, based on a real plague in 1910 Manchuria.
  • Starlings is a book of short stories.
  • Self-Portrait with Boy was given high praise from a Goodreads friend.
  • As Bright as Heaven is historical fiction about the 1918 Spanish Influenza, set in Philadelphia.
  • I finished The Immortalists, in which children who learn the day of their death must decide how to live their lives.
  • Poetry for Kids Robert Frost is part of a series of books I have enjoyed reviewing.
  • West is a novel that intrigued me when I saw it on Edelweiss, as did The Which Way Tree which I saw on NetGalley.
Not yet downloaded from NetGalley are First Ladies of the Republic by Jeanne Abrams, Gateway to the Moon by Mary Morris, and Lear by Harold Bloom.

I am still reading giveaway wins Debriefing by Susan Sontag and Winter by Karl Ove Knausggard.


W.W. Norton shipped me this slender book. I am saving it for when I have a full afternoon free to read it in one sitting.
 And also still to be read is this LibraryThing book.
We have new siding and gutters! We changed where the gutters were, added rain barrels, and put gutters on the garage.
When my husband saw this Gum Drop tree in a catalog he remembered how his grandmother always had one. So we bought one!
It was so cool to see this Tammis Keefe linen towel ad in a 1958 magazine! I purchased reproductions several years ago and use them in my decorating. You can see one under the Gum Drop tree above.



My hubby has been making cookies! I went on a butter run today. He is enjoying making bread and baking and cooking now the yard and garden work is over. That gives me more time for reading!

The 1958 magazine had some cute illustrations of Christmas shopping. Don't you love how the lady is shopping in heels?
She changed her scarf color and how is wearing boots with the kids. Balloons in winter--that is novel.
I don't have much Christmas shopping to do and the big gifts are taken care of. For our gift to ourselves we bought tickets to the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. We will take our son to two concerts at Orchestra Hall, and we bought tickets to the Neighborhood concert series.

What are you working on? How is your shopping and decorating going?

No comments:

Post a Comment